The History of our Foundation
Our alumni sailing to the United States of America to bring the ships bought for our country within the framework of the USA Marshall Plan put forward an idea to establish an Association at the position of 36 N, 32 W when they were sailing along the North Atlantic in M/S BAKIR ship for their 3rd voyage on 7th of September 1947.
The crew consisting of 23 members, gathered in the crew hall under Master Nezihi Arda, the Chief Officer Naci Tansev, 3rd Officer Namık Asena, and the 4th Officer Kemal Gurdal.
Among the captains who were present in the meeting, Captain Namık Asena, Captain Nezihi Arda, Naci Tansev, Captain Necdet Or, Captain Seyfi Gezer, Zeki Derinsu, Pehlivan Bedri, Zeki Captain, Captain Vahit Okan, Suat Esendal, Captain Hasan Tekin, Turgut Engin, Necati Sansa, Captain Kemal Gürdal, Selahattin Yenice, Captain Nuri Yilmaz, Captain Muhsin Abay, Nuri Eren, Yusuf Yelkenkaya, Yusuf Captain, Sekip Captain, Ali Guner, and Sabri Cerensu immediately declared that they would be among the members of such an Association. They laid the foundation of our Association by pooling 146.50 Turkish Liras for the Association.
As a result of such unity, the Higher Maritime School Alumni Association was founded in the first week of August in 1949. Afterward, the name of our association was replaced with ITU Maritime Faculty Alumni Association after our school's name was changed as well.